Job title: Camps and Retreats Director
Location: On-site at 3483 McCament Rd, Walhonding, OH 43843
Salary Range: $65,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
Travel Required: 0-5%
Work Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekend hours required
Because I said I would is a social movement and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the betterment of humanity through promises made and kept.
In addition to your resume, please email a cover letter stating why you want to work for because I said I would and what skills you have that make you a great fit for the position.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Applications Accepted By:
Subject Line: Camps and Retreats Director Application – [Insert Your Name Here]
Because I said I would is a social movement and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the betterment of humanity through promises made and kept. We are changing lives through character development programs and volunteer projects in partnership with schools, juvenile detention centers, prisons, and communities.
General Description of Position
The Camps and Retreats Director is responsible for fulfilling the mission of because I said I would by providing leadership and management for the overall operation. The position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and work with staff, client organizations, participants, donors, volunteers, and vendors. The role includes leading quality camp and retreat experiences; administrative management; securing and supervising camp staff; managing finances; and fulfilling a marketing plan. The camp and retreat facility is in Walhonding, Knox County, Ohio, 1 hour NE of Columbus.
- Implement and monitor safety protocols: Establish operational safety standards and protocols, including regular safety inspections, emergency response procedures, and staff training. Monitor compliance and take corrective action as necessary.
- Oversee youth summer camp operations for 100 kids in 2-week sessions, 4 sessions total in the summer: Plan and execute summer camp programs for youth aged 12-17. Ensure a safe, inclusive, and engaging environment that promotes personal growth, fosters teamwork, and creates memorable experiences.
- Facilitate logistics for family bereavement retreats, 150 families each year: Coordinate all logistical aspects for family bereavement retreats, from setting up private spaces to managing resources needed for therapeutic activities. Monitor the quality of services and infrastructure to ensure a supportive environment for attendees.
- Supervise camp staff operations: Direct the daily operations of the camp staff including maintenance and housekeeping, ensuring each department’s functions align with overall camp operations. Conduct regular staff meetings to communicate operational updates and address any issues.
- Maintain day-to-day camp operations so that corporate retreats and weddings run smoothly: Oversee the camp’s day-to-day operations, ensuring all facilities and equipment are well-maintained and functional. Coordinate with maintenance and housekeeping teams for timely repairs and upkeep to provide a safe and welcoming environment.
- Manage operational budget: Oversee the creation and management of the operational budget, ensuring all costs, including utilities, supplies, maintenance, and staff salaries, are accounted for. Regularly monitor expenditure to ensure operations stay within the budgetary constraints.
- Cultivate community partnerships: Forge partnerships with local suppliers, vendors, and contractors. Negotiate contracts and manage these relationships to ensure smooth operations and ongoing supply of necessary goods and services.
- Document activities in Salesforce, camp software and project management software: Make sure teams are on the same page and priorities are understood by leveraging technology.
- Minimum of 5 years in a Camp Director position overseeing a camp program or operation.
- Vision, energy and passion for camp and retreat programs in the outdoors
- Relationship building and leadership skills to work with staff, participants, volunteers, and guests.
- Experience in developing external relationships and partnerships with clients, donors, and vendors
- Ability to motivate and create a positive atmosphere with the camps and retreats team in the midst of ambitious goals and internal and external challenges that arise
- Possess demonstrated commitment to customer service, welcoming spirit of hospitality and drive for quality programs
- Strong planning and organizational skills to manage financial and operational systems, implement best practices for financial sustainability and use software systems proficiently
- Diligence and accuracy are essential, abilities to prioritize work, consistently meet deadlines and work as a collaborator
- Able to live on-site in Camp Director housing
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Camp Management, Outdoor Recreation, Recreational leadership, or related field
- Lead the overall direction of the camps and retreats program and operations
- Work on site at the camp and retreat facility, travel to client organizations.
- Ambulatory ability to move about the site and auditory and visual ability to identify and respond to any situation that may arise
- Ability to communicate and work with groups and individuals
- Cognitive abilities to plan for and coordinate
1. Lead camps and retreats operation
- Create and oversee the startup process and overall operations in turning a retreat business / facility into a camp
- Act in alignment with organization policies and practices to carry out the mission and values
2. Ensure a safe property and facility
- Oversee and work with site manager to manage the facility and property in compliance with all applicable state and local regulations (food service, health, etc.)
- Lead operations in accordance with American Camping Association (ACA) accreditation process
- Maintain a focus on sustainability
3. Staff leadership
- Provide leadership for camps and retreat staff and volunteers including selection, training, assessment, and recognition of team members
- Work together with because I said I would’s Director of Human Resources on staff hiring and selection processes
4. Camper recruitment and external relationships
- Oversee and work with program leader to fill camper spots for because I said I would directed camp programs
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with organizational clients including leaders and participants
- Work with because I said I would staff to create and manage communications including social media and website
- Serve as the liaison to local community, government, and accrediting organizations
5. Program delivery and development
- Serve as host for groups and guests and/or lead staff to provide excellent customer service and high- quality programming
- Oversee creation and delivery of outdoor programming focused on character education in collaboration with camp program director and with because I said I would content development staff members
- Collaborate with camp program director, because I said I would account executive, marketing staff, and business development manager to schedule and deliver corporate retreats, hosted programs, and additional events
6. Business operations and financial leadership
- Manage camps and retreat program operating and capital budgets
- Oversee camp office administration, record keeping, technology, and database management
- Work in partnership with fundraising staff for donor stewardship and fundraising efforts
7. Perform other duties as assigned
Because I said I would looks for three core competencies in their employees:
- Ability to keep promises
- Passion for humanitarianism
- An entrepreneurial attitude
Because I said I would only hires people that can make and keep their promises
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Walhonding, OH: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person