Job title: Vice President of Fundraising & Development
Location: Remote with 8 visits a year to HQ at 3483 McCament Rd, Walhonding, OH 43843.
Salary Range: $80,000 to $90,000.00 per year
Travel Required: 10-25%, domestic & international. Visits to donors, major events and HQ.
Work Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekend hours required
Because I said I would is a social movement and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the betterment of humanity through promises made and kept. We are changing lives through character development programs and volunteer projects in partnership with schools, juvenile detention centers, prisons, and communities.
General Description of Position
Reporting to the Founder & CEO, theVice President of Fundraising & Development serves as a critical team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions for because I said I would. In partnership with the Founder, this position is responsible for board development, all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build because I said I would’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Vice President of Fundraising & Development will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Vice President of Fundraising & Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the foundation needed to grow to $2 million in fundraising annually funding through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
This position will diversify because I said I would funding sources and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Vice President of Fundraising & Development will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by because I said I would will increase in future years as the Vice President of Fundraising & Developmentsystematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
- Develop comprehensive fundraising strategies to reach: Collaboratively work with the Executive Leadership Team to create and implement a holistic development strategy. Aim to secure corporate sponsorships, foundation support, government grants, and other fundraising activities, targeting an annual revenue of $2M within 3 years.
- Foster relationships with 35 key donors giving major gifts of $10,000 or more: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with corporations and major donors following a strategic fundraising process. Employ effective relationship-building techniques to encourage long-term commitment and increased contributions.
- Lead board recruitment and management for a team of 12 board members: Identify, recruit, and onboard suitable candidates for the Board of Directors. Oversee all board-related processes and programs, fostering a collaborative and effective board culture.
- Oversee grant-writing processes that leverage artifical intelligence: Establish a systematic process for grant writing. Write compelling grants to support Chapter programs and character education initiatives, effectively communicating the need, impact, and value of our work.
- Collaborate on financial strategy: Work closely with the Founder to develop and implement the organization’s financial strategy. Ensure alignment between fundraising efforts and overall financial objectives.
- Create financial forecasts: Develop detailed financial forecasts to help anticipate major changes in funding or trends in the sector. Utilize these insights to adapt strategies and maintain the financial health of the organization.
- Monitor donor information in Salesforce CRM: Manage all donor data, providing detailed statistical analyses to the Board and Executive Leadership Team. Use this information to inform strategy, identify opportunities, and track progress against fundraising goals.
- Implement donor stewardship programs: Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at deepening relationships with donors. Create personalized communication and recognition strategies to express gratitude and encourage ongoing support.
- Supervise direct reports: Oversee the work of current and future direct reports, including the bookkeeper, interns and future full-time staff. Provide guidance, support, and constructive feedback to ensure their professional growth and the effective execution of their roles.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- +7 years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Previous history of raising $500,000 or more annually as an individual goal supported by collective efforts.
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside because I said I would
- High energy and passion for because I said I would’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- CFRE Certification
- Experience in fundraising through a chapter based non-profit.
- Development experience in a young non-profit.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to your resume, please email a cover letter stating why you want to work for because I said I would and what skills you have that make you a great fit for the position.
Subject Line: VP of Fundraising & Development Application
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
because I said I would is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace where all employees are valued, respected, and have the opportunity to succeed. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and business need.