The Associate Board supports the work of because I said I would through specific action-based activities and leadership opportunities. While day-to-day operations are led by because I said I would’s Founder, the Board of Directors providing partnership and strategic governance, the Associate Board emphasizes ways to support both and continue to promote growth. We are currently seeking Associate Board volunteers with motivation to learn, grow, and become invested in the because I said I would mission.
If you are interested in a position with the Associate Board, please fill out the form below and make note of what activities you feel most strongly about getting involved in:
- Social Media presence
- Recruitment (volunteers, board members, etc.)
- Writing (content, grant applications, case studies, etc.)
- Other – let us know what you want to add!
If you are interested in an Associate Board position, please fill out the form below.
Current Associate Board Members
Hi! My name is Maria Curcio. I currently live with my two fur babies, Bella and Darby, in my hometown of Stow, OH. Previously, I lived in Lakewood. A town I had resided in since my graduation from Baldwin Wallace University in 2015.
At present, I work as a Staff Accountant at Energy Harbor in Akron, OH. I am a registered Notary and am working feverishly to improve my excel skills daily. My professional goals are to move into management, and eventually, consulting. On the flip-side, I am an environmentalist at heart, and, in future, hope to mix that into my career.
In my free time, I enjoy yoga, hiking and reading. When possible, I enjoy listening to live music and traveling.
I am excited to bring my expertise and passion to the associate board of Because I Said I Would!
Nate Fletcher has spent over 15 years working in healthcare IT and currently serves as Director of Operations for Vital Software, which focuses on artificial intelligence in Emergency Medicine. Prior to this role he served at Stericycle Communications, and GetWellNetwork, where he first heard Alex Sheen speak at a conference.
Nate joins us from Denver Colorado, where he lives with his wife, yellow lab, and two small children. When he’s spending time with his family, he can be found on the ski slopes, cooking, or playing his guitar. He holds a bachelors in arts from Vanderbilt University, and originally hails from the ocean state, Rhode Island.
I value the spoken and written word in everything I do, especially through the lens of a parent and community volunteer. I have over 23 years of professional experience in strategy, branding, writing, communications, and IT. I worked at Ernst & Young for 19 years as a Marketing and Communications professional, and then changed my career to IT when I joined CrossCountry Mortgage and later at Bellwether Enterprise. I enjoy spending time with family and friends, sports, knitting, crocheting, writing children’s books, and I hope to finish my novel someday.
Heather Low is a Mental Health Therapist who currently works full time in a private practice role and part time with a hospital, with a previous background in the non profit mental health field. She primarily works with teens and young adults of varying diagnoses and intensities. This mental health focus was one of the first things that really drew her to Because I Said I Would, finding ways that incorporating Promise Cards into treatment sessions was immensely helpful and empowering for clients in a variety of ways.
Heather is originally from the West suburbs of Cleveland, OH but currently resides in Central Ohio (partially because there is less snow!). She enjoys reading, writing, painting and other creative outlets, as well as outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking.
Open Board Positions
Job Title: Associate Board Member
Location: Rocky River, Ohio/Remote
Work hours: Monthly/quarterly associate board meetings, either virtual or in-person, committee meetings and tasks as set by role (approx 3-10 hrs/month)
What will you do?
The Associate Board will support the work of because I said I would by providing mission-based leadership and expansion of the goals of the organization. While day-to-day operations are led by the Founder and chief executive officer (CEO), the Associate Board-Board-CEO relationship is essential to growth, and the appropriate involvement of the Associate Board within the overall team is both critical and expected. Specific Associate Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Participation, and Growth
- Serve as advocates for the mission, work, and efforts of because i said i would
- Review outcomes and metrics along with the Board to review the organization’s impacts and effectiveness
- Identifying additional goals for Associate Board as fitting based on data analyzed
- Understanding because I said I would annual budget, gaining insight into ways in which Associate Board participation plays into budget and organizational decision making
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Board and then Founder through observations and feedback from overlapping interactions
- Assisting the Board with identifying potential Associate Board and Board members
- Partnering with the Board and other members of the because i said i would team to ensure objectives are being followed up on
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Acting as an ambassador to the organization when at events or whenever networking chances are available
- Ensuring because i said i would’s responsibility to a diverse and well rounded Associate Board and Board that reflects the various populations that the organization serves
Associate Board Members will make an annual gift to because i said i would that reflects the priority of supporting the organization and mission. So that because i said i would is able to credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, because i said i would expects to have 100 percent of Associate Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. This amount will be established by the individual with the Vice President of Development on an annual basis.
because I said I would‘s Associate Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms, with eligibility to request opportunity to join the full Board after two terms have been served. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held as needed and established by the Associate Board during those quarterly meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about because I said I would’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected members will have achieved leadership stature in a business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of because I said I would’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience.
- Personal qualities of accountability integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of because I said I would’s beneficiaries.
- Ability to make and keep a promise.
If you are interested in a position on the Associate Board, please fill out the form below.