I will help an elderly person in my life (friend, family, neighbor) by teaching them how to use a grocery delivery app which will allow them to have groceries delivered instead of gong out to shop.
Impact of the Promise
Those 65 and older have been identified at being more at risk of serious complication from COVID-19. Currently the CDC reports that 8 out of 10 deaths reported in the US have been in adults 65 years and older. That is why it is crucial for our senior friends, families and neighbors to stay home and limit their chances of catching this illness. However they still need items such as groceries, and going out puts them at risk. So what can you do? In the age of technology we are lucky to have apps which allow you to shop online and have your groceries delivered to your door. Many older individuals may not have the knowledge or experience using this app or ones offered by local retailers. Take time out of your day to set up the app for them and instruct them on how to use it. With the elderly ordered to remain home and avoid social contact with family and friends, urgent action is needed. Ensure they are safe and stocked by making this promise today!
- Keep your distance still! Download the app and set up the account from your own device to help them get started.
- Talk them through the app on the phone, and assist them with their first order
- Find written instructions for them to reference! Email them if possible, or drop off a hard copy in their mailbox
- Be patient! This is a new technology for them and it make take some time for them to get used to it.
- Use a video sharing app that gives you screen- sharing capabilities.
- Don’t go to their house and instruct them in person. While convenient it can put them at risk.
- Don’t forget to check in with them! While they may have successfully placed their first order with your help, they may need assistance again until they are comfortable using it alone.
Resources: Older Adults CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications/older-adults.html
Element of Honor
Through my actions I seek to alleviate suffering, establish peace, and build happiness with others and in myself. I recognize that the world is in great need. Because of this need, I am needed. My belief in the importance of a promise is strong; however, I know that doing what is right will always be more important than keeping a promise. Commitment holds me accountable to my compassion; it does not blind me of it.
Did you complete this Individual Action Plan?
If you have completed this Individual Action Plan, tell us about it!
Please share your experience here!